Custom Cue #1

I have always wanted to take a shot at making a cue, and this was my first.

The timber for the butt core and the shaft were imported, while I used locally sourced timbers for the handle and forearm.

Handle is Mallee burl, and the forearm is Mahogony. These were glued to the core with West System epoxy.

Butt sleeve and joint collars are made of Tomahawk. I added some brass rings to dress it up.

Ferrule is capped Juma.

Pin is Uni-loc quick release.

Turned Maple core was grooved to assist adhesion.
Cored forearm was tapped one end to match thread cut in core to give mechanical as well as an adhesive bond. Forearm
Threading core for butt cap. I moved the high speed engraving spindle from my mill to my lathe to cut the threads.
Finished core ready for glue. It is threaded for forearm and butt cap. There is a step down to a smaller diameter for the forearm. Core
Another view of the finished core Core
Handle bonded with West System epoxy. Rings will fit on the parallel section, then the forearm will be glued and screwed to the core. bonded handle
Rings in place rings
Forearm glued in place forarm glued
First pass profiling forearm
Unfortunately the handle developed some cracks that I was not happy with. Crack
So, the handle was turned off for another go! At least I proved that the West System epoxy did a great job.
Machining the Tomahawk for the butt cap. The end is threaded to screw on to the core. This material will also be used for the joint ferrules and shaft ferrule. Tomahawk
Butt cap glued in place. The new handle was made from Mountain Ash fiddleback. Profiling next. Butt glued
Cutting the taper on the handle
Butt ready for final sanding ready_sanding
Sanding Shaft sanding
Fitting tip - G2 medium tip