Since I completely removed the compound slide, I needed a much higher toolpost than is usually used on a lathe of this size.
So, I purchased a 200 series 75x75mm toolpost on Ebay. This is the same toolpost I use on my 1m bed lathe and allows me to share tools between the two lathes.
The bolt holding the toolpost is M16, so I drilled and tapped the new aluminium slide top I made to suit. IMG 1 shows the toolpost installed on the cross slide.
MOV2 shows the first cut! This was only a light cut on 30mm diameter aluminium to make sure everything works as expected.
I realised that it was going to be a pain changing the height of tools between both lathes. So, I added a spacer underneath the toolpost so both have the same tool height.